To: Clergy and People
From: The Bishop
27th May, 2016
The Hurricane Season is Here- Have A Plan!
Let us pray that God will protect us from the ravages of hurricanes and other disasters this year. Nevertheless “Let Us Prepare To Survive.”
1. Familiarize ourselves with our surroundings: The type of house whether wood, concrete blocks,galvanized sheets. Living conditions is it in good condition, what about the roof, where is the house located- next to a river, stream, the sea, slopes, hillside, a cliff or valley. Are there big trees or trees in bad condition. Is it next to electrical poles or cables.
2. Know our community- What is there in the community that could be useful in case of a
hurricane? What hazards exist in our community and where are they located? Are there emergency institutions and where are they located? Which are the safest places to be in case of emergency? How prepared are we in case a hurricane comes?
3. After doing one and two above what can we do to make our home and community a safer place?- Window shutters, re-enforce galvanise (roof), clear drains, cut branches overhanging trees etc. Don’t seek to repair or reinforce your roof during a hurricane.
4. Make a Family Plan- Identify a safe room in our home or that of a neighbour. Know our nearest hurricane shelter. If our home is not in good condition or near to a river, slope, stream,cliff, sea, big trees we should plan to go to a hurricane shelter,know how to get there and by what means with our emergency supplies.
5. Plan escape routes from our home and places to meet
6. Give contact telephone numbers to family overseas, include numbers of persons who live outside your Parish. Keep important numbers handy. Ensure that your cell phone is charged if or when a hurricane is approaching.
7. Have a plan for your animals
8. Check your insurance coverage- make sure you understand what coverage you have.
9. Stock non-perishable emergency supplies: A three day supply of food and water, a change of clothing, a blanket or sleeping bag and a first aid kit that include medication. Battery powered Radio,flashlight and extra batteries, work gloves and fire extinguisher, hammer, saw, pickaxe. Ensure that important family documents are in a fire and water proof container,have an extra set of keys,cash and credit card.
10. Seek information from Your National Emergency Management organisation,and read.
0 Heavenly Father as the hurricane season is here we are frightened by our knowledge of the possible devastation of storms, hurricanes and other natural disasters and by our helplessness in the face of them. We pray 0 Father that you may keep us safe and all who stand in harms way.
Loving Father help us to know and to be confident that if disaster comes our way that you are ever present with us, and teach us to cope and afterwards to respond with love and care for others. And if we are spared and others are affected we pray that help may be given to them speedily and this may be turned into an opportunity to strengthen the bonds of love and service which bind men and nations together through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
With every good wish and God’s Blessings!
The R . Rev’d C. Leopold Friday
Bishop of the Windward Islands